Monday 23 August 2010

The Big Move

It only seems like yesterday that it was early June and I had just ran my 5000 PB at Watford, England were still in the World Cup and I received a scholarship offer from the University of Portland. The last few months have flown by and all of a sudden I find myself writing this blog with just three days before I fly out to the USA. The journey over the next couple of years will hopefully be a productive one and it would be strange not to feel excited about the venture. I have become accustomed to moving away from home in the past, through travelling and university here in England, but this time I will be thousands of miles away from my family and above all my girlfriend, Jennifer. I have no doubts that I will cope out in the States, but I feel selfish in the respect that I am doing all of this while Jenny has to stay at home and do two-years work experience in order to apply to do a doctorate. However, the continued support that Jenny and her family have given me will hopefully pay dividends and I can come back with more qualifications and as a better athlete to further our lives in the UK.

Anyway, with that bit over with this week saw the completion of another steady week of base mileage and I can now look forward to sharpening up in September for the forthcoming cross country season. I ran a 10k trail race on Saturday as part of my long run, which was interesting to say the least, but went well. The main concern of the last week is how I have felt pretty fatigued during a few of the runs, which is probably normal due to the amount of miles I have clocked during the last ten weeks. I think some of the fatigue is also mental in that most of the running completed has been on my own and I can't wait to get to Portland and run with the team as I think it will make a massive difference. With all these miles I have got myself into the best shape I have ever been in and hopefully come October, with a few specific 10k sessions in the bank, I will toe the line in the best possible condition.

Mon 16th August
15:25 PM: 79:26 (12.10mi, 6:35/mi)
Legs and hamstrings a little tight after the two track races yesterday and probably shouldn't have gone to Rutland water to do the run with this in mind. This is because it is extremely undulating and you never have a prolonged period of running on the flat, I feel sorry for those who do the marathon or half marathon that is run round there. I probably ran too hard and although the time doesn't reflect this, the effort I put in was too much for a recovery run.

Tues 17th August
10:31 AM: 33:46 (5.0mi, 6:45/mi)
Nice and easy relaxed morning run.
18:37 PM: 69:02 (12.05mi progressive run, 5:44/mi) + 2.03mi c/d. Mile splits 6:33, 6:36, 6:00, 5:58, 5:41, 5:34, 5:38, 5:27, 5:29, 5:17, 5:15, 5:14. Was going to do an interval session on the grass but legs felt a little heavy and it was chucking it down, so did a progressive run on the roads instead. Two miles easy to start and then picked it up from there, felt strong on the last five miles even when the last two miles were into the wind.

Weds 18th August
13:14 PM: 91:11 (14.0mi, 6:31/mi)
Ran at ferry meadows and most was off-road or on the footpaths round the lakes. Legs felt very tired after 8 miles and worryingly was a bit of struggle but maybe the long tempo was something to do with that. Looking back at the schedule coach set, these runs are only meant to be at 6:45/mi so maybe should put this into effect.

Thurs 19th August
10:09 AM: 36:46 (5.5mi, 6:43/mi)
Easy morning run on Thistleton loop, nice and relaxed.
17:48 PM: 64:43 (10.0mi, 6:28/mi) +strides
Felt loads better and could have upped the pace if I wanted to, but tried to keep it controlled and relaxed. The strides went very well as well and hopefully the rest of my runs this week can feel this good. Was back home in time to see Mo smash the British record and Solinsky go under 13 mins 'again'! So inspirational to see these boys run these times and hopefully there can be a few more who mix it with the Africans.

Fri 20th August
11:31 AM: 80:03 (12.0mi, 6:40/mi)
Legs felt terrible and again I felt fatigued like I did on Wednesday, no idea why they feel so different to yesterday when I thought the tiredness had subsided.
18:43 PM: 34:47 (5.0mi, 6:58/mi)
Recovery run to try and make the legs feel a little better. Left shin was a little sore but nothing too much to worry about, decided I needed a beer and lots of food to relax and refuel.

Sat 21st August
9:10 AM: 75:01 (11.23mi, 6:41/mi)
Nice easy run out on Buckminster loop, felt a bit tired towards the end but least it wasn't as windy as it has been in recent weeks.
18:09 PM: 34:12 (5.0mi, 6:50/mi)
Easy run after going to the zoo and before a meal with Jen's family for a joint celebration of her mum's birthday and my move to America. Wasn't going to do this but after Ipswich managed another three points was in a good mood!

Sun 22nd August
10:00 AM: 17.25 miles inc. Welbourne 10k trail race (1st 34:23). Mile splits 5.03, 5.17, 5.18, 5.21, 5.42, 6.12. The race starts off on the road and you do just short of a mile on the road before turning off into a corn field. I ran this fairly hard knowing this was going to happen and went through a k in 2.57. After the corn field, which cut my thighs to pieces (I was glad I put the compression socks on!) the course followed farm tracks, where in places you could manage a decent stride, until about four miles. Then the fun began and the course went back across fields for two miles and I ran across ploughed soft mounds of mud and hay and over stiles and through various forms of gates. Least I was fit enough to just laugh at how tough these last few miles were and even though I was wearing racing flats I don't think I would have been any better off in trail shoes as nothing was suited for the difference in terrain. I managed to win by about a minute and a half and think the early pace had an effect on some of those behind that followed it. Its a great event and well organised by Chris Smith and his Toonie Express adventure racing group and once again they got some great weather for it. I managed 5 miles as a warm up and did 6 miles as a cool down before the presentation, was tempted to do another three after it but by that time it was too warm and I just wanted to get home and get clean!

Total Weekly Mileage - 112.16mi

No comments:

Post a Comment